My Classroom Expectations

Hello parents!

A new school year means a new classroom and new policies. Here I have detailed what you can expect from me and what I expect from your students.
  • Behavior- Students in my fifth grade classroom are expected to behave as expected, with few interruptions, respect for others, and respect for the classroom. Students are older now, and they know how to behave. We will be using computers during the school year, and I expect them to uphold the contracts of digital citizenship; keeping in mind that anything you put on the internet can be found, to stay safe with passwords and personal information, and to not engage in any cyberbullying.
  • Content- We will be covering a lot of new and exciting content in the coming year! In math we're exploring decimals, fractions, measurements, and some beginning algebra. In Science, we're doing a unit over scientific investigation, also electricity, light, and the human body. In social studies, we will start the year with some world geography and Ancient Greece, and the second semester we will have a big unit on the American Civil War. In English, we will continue to build our vocabulary and reading comprehension by reading "The Giver" by Lois Lowry first semester, and second semester we will do a poetry unit and also read "The Birch Bark House" by Louise Erdrich.
  • Policies and Procedures
    • Late Work- If a student is sick, then they have the same amount of days as they were sick extra to turn in any late work. For example, they are sick Monday and Tuesday. They have until Friday morning to get missed work turned in. If a student does not complete work on time, there will be a 5% deduction from their grade on the assignment for every day late .
    • Tardiness- Sometimes students cannot help being tardy, but it is also excused if you sign them in with the office. If a student is habitually tardy, please expect a call from me.
    • Extra Credit- Students will be given a chance to earn up to 50 points extra credit in any subject before the end of each semester.
    • Grades- Grades will be sent home every quarter. If you would like to know the progress of your child, please feel free to email me or call me during office hours.
    • Homework- I will assign homework in 1-2 subjects 2-3 days a week. If your child comes home with more than that, it is because they did not finish their work in class. If this becomes a problem, please let me know.
    • Office Hours- My office is open during lunch and the following hour, 11:15-1pm, and after school until 4:30 pm. Please either email or call ahead to schedule an appointment with me.
    • Extra help: I will be on hand after school until 5pm every Tuesday for any student that needs extra help in any subject. 
  • Rules- I have a few small rules that I believe encompass everything a fifth grader needs to succeed: 1. Respect others. This includes peers, teachers, and other administrators. It also includes raising your hand to speak, not back talking me, and not bullying other students. 2. Respect the classroom. This encompasses keeping your desk clean, throwing away trash, and not being harmful to the classroom itself. If these rules are not followed, the student will first be given a verbal warning. If the problem persists, they will lose time at recess or possibly be moved to a desk near mine. If it is still a problem, I will notify you, and, depending on the severity of the problem, we may have to meet with the school counselor and principal.
  • Rewards- I will reward your students for good behavior. I will be using a ticket system. Students will be given tickets for things like turning in work on time, working quietly, following instructions, and going out of their way to help a fellow student or me. They can also be taken away if they do not follow the rules. At the end of each quarter, they can turn in their tickets for small prizes, special lunches with me, or extra recess time.
  • Grading- Grades will be given out each quarter, and you are welcome to call or email me if you wish to check up on your student. 1/4 of their grade will be based on participation, 1/2 on their inclass work and homework, and 1/4 on tests and quizzes. Inclass and homework will be graded and given back to the student within 2 days of them turning it in. Any tests or essays will be given back after 4 days.
  • Parent/Teacher Communication- I will be updating this blog every week on Sundays. I will also send home a newsletter at the beginning of every month. Any pertinent information, like field trip forms, will be sent home with your student.
  • Contacting Me- You are welcome to email me anytime at kdenney@springfield.k12.mo.us. My office hour is from 11:15am-1:00pm and I am at school until 4:30pm most days. You are welcome to call me at (417) XXX-XXXX ext XXXX then. If we must meet in person, please call me and schedule an appointment ahead of time, even if it is for the next day. 
I am really looking forward to getting to know you and your students this year! Let's all help them succeed!

             Mrs. Denney 

Comments